PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hearing Loss Medical EASA. Any experiences?
Old 1st Aug 2023, 14:04
Movieman162

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just wanted to post my experience with getting a Class 1 medical as someone with a hearing impairment.

I initially had much difficulty with this from the CAA as (at least back then) the requirements for initial applicants and those renewing/revalidating their medicals are slightly different. My situation is that I wear two bone-anchored hearing aids, and that is practically where all my hearing ability comes from. My hearing is excellent in reality, but I use a slightly adapted setup in an aircraft to manage listening to air traffic control. As a result, the CAA didn't want to consider me as their only view on the matter was meeting the audiogram requirements, which I didn't. But as others here have mentioned, you can do a Functional Hearing Assessment which should enable you to get the medical.

I have had a few people contact me experiencing difficulties with this on some levels with other national regulatory bodies – but it is possible! My main advice as someone who spent five years arguing my case is to keep trying!

I have an article on LinkedIn explaining my experience in more depth if anyone wants to read it. It is slightly outdated, however, as I have gained my PPL since writing and hope to try for a place on a cadet programme.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/so-ho...im-heptinstall