PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Perth STARs and ATC
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2004, 03:30
blueloo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perth STARs and ATC

This is for general comment and peoples thoughts:

Perth ILS Rwy 03 has been up and running for over a year and a bit now, and yet there are still no (STAR) arrivals for this runway from some routes from the North. It seems odd that a major airport such as this with new facilities (the ILS 03) has not created a new arrival.

After all what is the purpose of a STAR?
(I always thought it facilitated a transition from a route to an arrival, with the benefits of being abale to plan your descent arrival etc - Jepp definitions aside)

Currently from experience an arrival from the North gets (say original track is via BIU) tracking to Pinja (on an adjacent route) for a Pinja Arrival for the instrument procedure (which according to the arrival is a VOR approach).

This times that I have seen this, the weather has not been terrible in Perth, but it has not been sufficient for a visual approach - it has certainly favoured using the ILS.

This solution so far has to been to request the ILS 03 - which results in vectors for the ILS. (This of course is an easy solution).

SO For those in the know - why
(a) has no STAR been created (or is it due soon)
and secondly:
(b) why do ATC tend to utilise a second grade approach in preference to an ILS approach even in marginal/average weather conditions. (I always thought the order of accuracy went ILS, VOR, NDB - and most people I would assume would prefer the safest, most accurate approach possible. )
(c) how do ATC get trained - in terms of what are they told about arrivals to give - vs what is generally preferred by the pilots?