PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USA vs EU vs Canada training/ career building advice
Old 31st Jul 2023, 17:44
+TSRA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh, and really finally....

I think as an industry we all need to take a step back and see the forest for the trees when it comes to the US. If someone is actively looking for a job this very second, I always suggest they go to the US. Take the opportunity to make up for lost time. But you're at least 2 years away from looking for a job. That's a 1/4 of the typical business cycle in aviation, which sees 7-10 year swings. We're about 1/2 way through the current business cycle, meaning you'll be looking for a job right when the cycle is due to end. I know everyone thinks the world is great for pilots right now, because it is. Amazingly so. But it was also very good in August 2001, December 2007, and February 2019.

You'll be finishing up right when the next industry downturn should begin. While I don't expect that there will be massive job losses, given just how short of pilots the industry is, pilot wages will suffer. They will suffer the most in the US as they are so off scale compared to the rest of the world. I wouldn't be too surprised if American pilots are taking a 30-50% haircut between 2025 to 2027. I know that's not great news, and is wild speculation. But it's wild speculation based on 23 years in the industry, two layoffs, and multiple pay cuts.

I don't say any of this to scare you off the industry, but rather as a reality check. This is a great industry to work in, and I don't often feel as though I am really working. But it is a business, and business does not care about your hopes and dreams, your future or your family. The earlier you learn this and plan your life for the unexpected, the happier you will be.