PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USA vs EU vs Canada training/ career building advice
Old 31st Jul 2023, 17:30
+TSRA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Affordability depends on what currency you're earning in and what currency you'll be learning in.

You say that you've been living and working in Australia, so off the bat, if you come to North America, you're taking a 33% hit to train in the US or an 11% hit to train in Canada when you convert your $AUS to $USD or $CAD. Going back and spending your money in Euros is even worse right now, with a 39% hit. You are better to find out what the difference in flight training costs are between these locations and Australia. Don't just look at the hourly costs or total cost in Australia and the other locations at face value; you have to take the exchange rate into account.

Australia, Canada, and the US have the same basic advantages and disadvantages when it comes to flight training. Training costs are expensive everywhere and are likely comparable when you convert to the local currency exchange rate.

Also, you say that you have the money to pay for the training, but have you also factored in living expenses? Back when I was flight instructing (admittedly almost 20 years ago now), I had more than one student show up, ready to train, without having factored in where they would sleep or eat for a year and a half. They'd tell me I shouldn't worry, that they'll be fine, and then a month later they're asking for a discount that was never given. If you have factored in your living expenses, great! If not, you're likely woefully short on the amount you'll need to do this full-time. I'd take what you're spending now on rent and food and double it if you're moving somewhere else. Living on the road gets very expensive, as you well know.

Finally, and I don't mean to be a tool, but did you complete the PPL flight test with 127 hours logged, or do you mean you have a PPL and have 127 hours logged? Those are two very different scenarios for which you may need additional funds. Admittance to the PPL flight test with 127 hours logged is about double what I remember nominating a student to their flight test, so either you took it piecemeal, or you required extra training - which is not a problem, but is something I'd suggest you factor an appropriate buffer above and beyond the bare minimums - about 50% is what I generally suggest to account for weather days or learning plateaus.