PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gatwick-3
Thread: Gatwick-3
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2023, 16:25
JW95

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sotonsean
The only Chinese carrier I can think of was China Southern Airlines.

Before the pandemic China Southern Airlines had scheduled a Wuhan to London Gatwick service.

But China Southern Airlines are to recommence Wuhan to London Heathrow on the 25 August 2023.

I personally can't think of any potential future Chinese carriers at LGW.

TBH I would even be extremely surprised if Air China and China Eastern remained at LGW for the long term.

The recently launched (2020) full service long haul Taiwanese carrier STARLUX is a possible airline to look out for.

The airline has stated that they intend on serving Europe at some point in the future.

STARLUX has 18 A359 on order and have recently announced their first long haul destination from Taipei which will be Los Angeles.

​​​
I hope China Eastern and Air China do stick around at LGW- the airport has undoubtably come a long way since it took a battering in 2020-22 when it lost a large chunk of its long haul network and carriers. I also am hopeful that Cathay Pacific will be back at Gatwick in 2024, now that their London capacity is quickly ramping up to near pre-covid levels. I agree RE. China Southern though, unlikely we will see them at Gatwick.