PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gatwick-3
Thread: Gatwick-3
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2023, 23:33
Sotonsean

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JW95
Of those you mention, I can certainly see Ghana Airways and their 789s making an appearance at LGW soon, due to slot constraints and unavailability at LHR. Same also goes to Air Tanzania. Regarding Air Senegal, I'd expect MAG to be competing very hard to get this service launched at STN as was the original plan before Covid began, although they may well go for LGW depending on what GIP offer them

In terms of Asia and Asian airlines in general, could we see more come to LGW next year? One thing that has been flagged up consistently in the video interviews with the LGW commercial teams is that they are expecting a further increase of Chinese carriers and routes at Gatwick going forwards. Air China and China Eastern Airlines have already resumed LGW. China Airlines' days at LGW are sadly finished since they now have permanent slots at LHR. I'm wondering who could be next?
The only Chinese carrier I can think of was China Southern Airlines.

Before the pandemic China Southern Airlines had scheduled a Wuhan to London Gatwick service.

But China Southern Airlines are to recommence Wuhan to London Heathrow on the 25 August 2023.

I personally can't think of any potential future Chinese carriers at LGW.

TBH I would even be extremely surprised if Air China and China Eastern remained at LGW for the long term.

The recently launched (2020) full service long haul Taiwanese carrier STARLUX is a possible airline to look out for.

The airline has stated that they intend on serving Europe at some point in the future.

STARLUX has 18 A359 on order and have recently announced their first long haul destination from Taipei which will be Los Angeles.

​​​

Last edited by Sotonsean; 29th Jul 2023 at 23:56.