PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight cancelled due to weather - I suspect not!
Old 27th Jul 2023, 09:25
canonfodder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for all of your responses, I really appreciate it.

Update: My claim for compensation was declined by KLM due to the reason of: "weather". Given that the weather forecast at the time of the cancellation (the night before) was absolutely fine, I did some digging...

There are 5 flight numbers used for this route:
KL1514 is the 0600 from NWI to AMS.
KL1516 is the 0930
KL1520 is the 1410
KL1524 is the 1720
KL1522 is also the 1720 (sometimes)

Since 1st May, 1 flight has been cancelled for the 0600 flight, 7 flights cancelled for the 0930 flight, 1 cancelled for the 1410 flight and 3 cancelled for the 1720 flight.
  • All of these flights were cancelled by KLM due to "weather conditions".
  • It seems the 0930 flight is favoured for cancellations even though flights are departing and arriving before and after this time and seem to be completely unaffected by weather.
  • All of the METARs for both NWI and AMS at these times showed good weather conditions.
  • There were no storm cells in the areas or on the route.
  • All aircraft used for these flights originate from AMS.
  • No other flights were affected by weather around the time of these flights and the airports were operating normally with arrivals and departures at similar times.
Reading a recent article, KLM seems to be suffering from staff shortages, spares issues for their aircraft, and perhaps even passenger shortages (they have increased from 3 to 4 daily flights from NWI to AMS which really isn't needed). By ticking the "weather" box, they can simply avoid paying compensation. Only because I'm a pilot am I aware of how to search through TAFs and METARs and to check historical weather conditions for aviation.

All of these flights were cancelled inappropriately and the airline shouldn't be allowed to get away with it. I'll be escalating my case.