PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eject! Eject! - John Nichol
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2023, 08:54
John Nichol

Received 81 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Timelord
John, I am very much enjoying the book, but here is a small quibble. In the chapter about the Heathrow Vulcan accident you describe ACM Broadhurst as the co pilot and the rear crew as “Two navigators the air electronics officer and a civilian advisor from Avro..” Isn’t it the case though that the real co pilot was in the back and died but Broadhurst pulled rank to be in the RHS for landing and lived even though he was not Vulcan qualified? This may or may not have had a bearing on the accident but certainly led to a lot of ill feeling in the Vulcan community for years and led to Broadhurst being heckled as “ murderer” at the infamous 1Gp Dining In Night about which a lot has been written here over the years.
TL ( tie club 4860)
Thanks for this TL - I constructed the narrative from details in a couple of other books which both had the same description of who was where, and various archived news reports from the time. I did try to get the Board of Inquiry via a FOI request but it wasn't available. Broadhurst is described as the co in all these documents.