PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vale Charles Dalglish
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2023, 23:00
mcoates

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
The most captivating tale he ever shared with me was about flying a helicopter in the UK.

It was a day of treacherous weather, and he found himself navigating through extremely low altitudes. Unfortunately, his map proved useless, leaving him disoriented and uncertain of his location. In this perplexing situation, he spotted a magnificent, expansive building with a pristine lawn in front, an ideal spot for a landing. He made the decision to touch down and seek assistance from the building's owners to determine his whereabouts and the correct direction to his destination.

Although I suspected he knew his way all along, it turned out that the impressive building was none other than Windsor Castle. Surprisingly, private helicopters were a rarity in the UK at that time, causing quite a stir. As he approached the castle, the curiosity of the royal family was piqued, and they eagerly awaited the revelation of who would emerge from the helicopter. The story unfolds as they graciously provided Charles with the necessary directions, while also instructing him not to land there again.

This remarkable escapade granted him the opportunity to meet the Queen on one of several occasions.

With Charles, distinguishing between a good story and facts was often challenging, yet this narrative remained consistent throughout the span of 35 years that i knew him, leading me to believe that it held a large amount of truth.