PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter (called Kermit?) crash
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2023, 20:17
chevvron

Received 98 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by John corps
Not only the aileron bearings had to be changed often, but also the flight control PFCU's, I was working in the Hydraulic Bay at RAE "F" so was getting lots of work from XE531.
I was transfered to "A" Shed at the time of the engine failure, in charge of 2nd year apprentices and was detailed to take the lads out and map the runway and locate,identify and collect bits of the aircraft. This was too much of a job for one man and 10 apprentices.
After '531 was recovered and before it was trucked away, it stayed in 'A' Shed for a while and during this stay, a party of ATC cadets from my squadron were taken on a conducted tour and I remember the person in charge (obviously John corps) offering his 'second year apprentices' as subjects to be shown what was going on. To say the least I was highly impressed by their knowledge and their abilty to explain things to the cadets in a way they would understand.
Also in a back room of 'A' Shed at that time was G-ACSS, the Comet racer, which was undergoing restoration.

Last edited by chevvron; 24th Jul 2023 at 18:17.