PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester-3
Thread: Manchester-3
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2023, 11:01
UnderASouthernSky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Navpi
Thanks for all your replies. So in effect this outdated legacy has evolved from the Pan Am flight originating outside the UK landing at Heathrow then being destroyed over Lockerbie.

As was said it was 35 years ago ! Have we not moved on ?

Presumably it was introduced as ATN suggests on the basis that back in the day Heathrow had better security screening than where the flights originated but surely in 2023 it is a pointless exercise, there are common security standards that makes such a requirement completely outdated.

In the case of Manchester there a number of airlines are looking to use Manchester as a transit stop ,
ETHIOPIAN (Dublin)
EMIRATES (Athens)
BIMAN (Istanbul)
AIR CANADA (Heathrow)
SIA (Manchester) more routes

It makes it completely uncompetitive. Is this not a slight of hand by Whitehall to keep Manchester in its box ?

My understanding is that BIMAN wished to offer their transit flights at Manchester but took exception to this rule suggesting it was totally discriminatory and so switched to Istanbul.

I'm amazed SIA have not taken the same view. Is Singapore Changi so bad passengers have to be re screened at Manchester? i don't think so.

In this current age of equality and diversity this smacks of borderline rascim and a "we know best attitude".

By any standard it is preposterous!
Whilst SQ transiting pax might have to be rescreened at MAN, doesn't it also take on 5th freedom pax to IAH - in which case there is some commercial benefit vs. a simple tech stop.