PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Channel Airways History
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2023, 17:45
blind pew

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
I started my ppl at a club called Avair funded by a scrap metal dealer who conned its members out of the annual membership then folded it. One of the frequent visitors was Tony? Jones, Jack’s son who had a twin rating..He was mates with one of my first assistant instructors whom Jack was so impressed with that he sponsored him for a commercial. He went onto fly with Britannia..was mentioned here afew years ago re cooking a brace of Darts after landing
My mother was manageress of the greasy spoon and assistant manageress of the restaurant under Ted? Rosser whom my father thought was knocking off my mum. I witnessed a punch up on our front garden (corner prefab corner of Rochford road and Mannering gardens)..around 1953.
My dad did catering along with Eddie Tropper who owned Palmera Court hotel on Westcliff sea front until he drove the van into the flaps whilst on his way to load the catering. End of Channel contract.
They were lots of airport parties but because of the fairly common loses my mum and dad would never fly. Except for a BEA IT flight to Famagusta via Nicosia they never flew with me. My mum had worked for BKS (Mike Keagen PA)
John Laker (Fred’s brother) was a mate of my dads. John was ex bombers and BOAC.