PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New CAP 371: Avoidance Of Fatigue in Air Crews
Old 19th Jan 2004, 19:28
Kaptin M
Moderate, Modest & Mild.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Although I am not yet affected by these CAO's, there will be the inevitable "flow on", because of the "global village" in which we all apparently work and reside.

At a glance, I find them a "crock" - wriiten by non-commercial flying bureaucrats sitting in an office. eg. the definitions of "Night" are distinctly poles apart, depending on whether it is being defined for the purpose of crew work/pay, or crew rest.
Not surprisingly, pilots may be rostered and flown during Winter months between the hours of (say) 6pm local time through until 02:45am and NOT have it counted as Night....."No honey, I'll be home at 0400, but it's all day flight."....according to the definitons:-

10) Local Night
A period of 8 hours falling between 1000 and 0800 hours local time.

11) Night duty
A duty is a Night Duty if any part of that duty falls within the period 0200 to 0459 hours local time.

"Dunno wot you lot are whinging about, you're all complainin' about bein' tired, but you're only rostered fer day flights!"

According to these CAO's, as long as a crew member finishes duty prior to 0100, there is NO restriction on the number of duties which may be assigned to him/her.

It's time that flight and duty times were looked at REALISTICALLY - from the SAFETY point of view, and in the TRUE light in which today's (desperate for a $) employers schedule crew.
NOT from the fanciful dreamings of some 9 to 5'er Walter Mitty!!