PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATS interview process
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2023, 16:35
Flight Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bajanelite123
Hi,

I'm just starting my research into this career and have struggled to find the answer to two key questions. I've tried to search the NATS website as well as this form and Reddit, but while these question has been asked, the answers are either out of date or vague.

My first question is about the salary. A normally taboo subject but in this new modern world, a very important problem to discuss. In my research, I've found that NATS has different salary ranges for being stationed at different airports. They seemed to call these bands. Is this still how it operates? If so, can you share updated ranges and what airports belong to which band? If you are at an airport that ranges from 40k-80k, how long does it take to achieve 80k? Is this usually a promotion to a different role or is this just pay for experience? If I was working at Cardiff as an Aerodrome Controller for 4 years, how much should I be making? The answers I've usually seen to salary questions are, the salary "good"/"great" but these mean something different to everyone. So a really detail answer would be appreciated. I know some people don't like to talk openly about their salary so I completely understand if you don't want to do this openly. I'm new to this form but I assume it has private message features.

My second question is about the type of controller you wish to become. My research seems to suggest you are just assigned with your preference not even taken into consideration. Is this true? If, for instance, you wanted to become an Aerodrome Controller but you were assigned to be an Area Controller, and someone else wished to be an Area Controller but they were assigned to be an Aerodrome Controller, doesn't that seem silly? Some explanation on this would be great. As at the moment, it seems there is a possibility for some to be very unhappy in their role. Also, if you wanted to switch the type of controller you are, could you? Or would this require retraining which NATS are unlikely to offer?

A further question I had while typing this is, how easy is it to switch between airports? Let's say you are assigned to Cardiff, is it possible to move to Manchester? If so, how is the process?

Thanks to anyone who answers. If you have already seen these answered, please post a link to the information. I know some might say to apply first, pass the assessments, then worry about these questions. But, the training is a large commitment. I would rather know now that I 100% want to do it than train for 2 years and realize I get paid less for more work; though, probably more interesting.

You might be hard pressed to find many people willing to openly share the pay scales. Essentially you’d look at about 10 years from bottom to top. This is based on experience however there are options for promotions which could increase salary.

Salary isn’t the end of the story though, there’s shift pay, ojti pay and overtime too. Even in a unit on the lowest scale (NERL & NSL only) you could probably hit the 6 figure mark without any promotions.

Regarding type of controller, you will ultimately end up where the business want you doing what they choose. Preferences may be taken into account and with the huge amount of courses being run in the next few years you might be luckier in that sense compared to previous years as there’s more space to put people.

That being said though while I’ve met many controllers who ended up somewhere they didn’t plan doing a type of controlling they wouldn’t have initially picked, I’ve yet to meet someone who wishes they didn’t pursue the job based on this.

Retraining paid for by NATS is very unlikely. Transferring isn’t too difficult however it can take some time if the unit you want to move to is over staffed or in demand already.