PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did You Fly The Vulcan?? (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2004, 18:56
forget

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alamo - ‘Indeed, one of the links quoted by forget says: "The Avro Vulcan... ... incorporated elements of ”fly by wire” computer control. The TFR was one element in that system [and was] ... connected directly to the AutoPilot." It didn't and it wasn't’.

Agree 100%. It didn't and it wasn't. I posted the links without comment. With hindsight I should have covered your points

I’ve also seen mention of the 'Ferranti' TFR in various papers. It was certainly a General Dynamics kit but it’s possible it was manufactured by Ferranti under license.

See picture and more on 536 at;

http://www.avrovulcan.org.uk/crown_c...arnborough.htm

but note ‘Seemingly, 536 was fitted with TFR before delivery to the Cottesmore Wing………..

Text;

Completed in August 1959 and retained by the manufacturers, the fourth Avro Vulcan B2 XH536 at the Farnborough Air Show in September 1959. 536 carries a Hawker Siddeley (Avro's parent company) logo behind the roundel and the words 'BRISTOL SIDDELEY OLYMPUS ENGINES' in the intake. (Bristol engines had merged with Armstrong Siddeley earlier that year). Note how 536 has yet to be fitted with an ECM tailcone. 536 was delivered to A&AEE at Boscombe Down in December 1959 and was officially allocated to the Ministry of Aviation for engine trials in May 1960. 536 entered RAF service in November 1965 with the Cottesmore Wing but crashed in February 1966 when it struck the ground during TFR trials with the loss of its IX Squadron crew.

The preliminary trials of the General Dynamics terrain-following radar ARI 5959 were held in 1965 on Victor B1 XA933. Vulcan trials were carried out on B2 XM606 which was loaned to the Ministry of Aviation from June 1965 to May 1967. Seemingly, 536 was fitted with TFR before delivery to the Cottesmore Wing and was used for squadron trials pending the modification with TFR on the Cottesmore Wing's 301engined Vulcans.