PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did You Fly The Vulcan?? (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2004, 18:16
alamo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RE 536

The jury must be still out on this one. There are many Vulcan myths around [you could have an entire thread on this]. One 'fact' that pops up on occasion concerns the 'Ferranti' TFR. In reality it was built by GD in the US and is confirmed by PRO file AVIA 18/2437 Vulcan B. Mk2 and Victor B. Mk2 evaluation of the general dynamics terrain following radar system (ARI 5959) .

Indeed, one of the links quoted by forget says: "The Avro Vulcan... ... incorporated elements of ”fly by wire” computer control. The TFR was one element in that system [and was] ... connected directly to the AutoPilot." It didn't and it wasn't.

You cannot believe everything you read however authorative the medium is. It only takes one mention of 'terrain-following training' for one author to add the word 'radar' - not unnaturally thinking about it - and a new 'fact' is published and republished.

I would prefer to read the accident report or read about it in Air Clues. I would pay more attention to those who were around at the time than what I read in books or see on Web sites.

The TFR trials Vulcan XM606 was on loan to MoA from June 65 to May 67.

536 crashed in Feb 66. Would TFR have been released for crew training as early as this?

No reds:

The only aircraft that seems to match is XM569. I am not aware of any XJs being scrapped at Rhoose or St Athan.

http://www.avrovulcan.org.uk/gary_sp..._daveprice.htm

Searching XM569 will bring up more info.

Last edited by alamo; 19th Jan 2004 at 18:46.