PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How Will the War End?
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2023, 16:35
Big Pistons Forever

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts
I should have been clearer. Russia considers Crimea a vital strategic asset due to its location and thus keeping control of it is considered critical to Russian national security interests. These geopolitical considerations are not new hence my comment about Crimea being historically Russian.

One thing is crystal clear. Europe and especially the US could have opened the taps wide open a year ago. The current offensive would look different if Ukraine could field a full complement of MBT, Long Range Missiles, Fast Air etc etc.

The West has clearly decided that it is not in their interests that Ukraine decisively defeat Russia. That is the basis of my belief that hostilities will end with a negotiated cease fire with Ukraine forced to accept the imposed terms which will have to include giving up any claim to Crimea. Putin has to get something or he will not negotiate no matter how bad the war is going.

The fact that this will ultimately be self defeating to long term Western interests doesn’t matter because the decision makers won’t be around for v2 of Russia invading Ukraine.