PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Strategic Defence Review 2020 - get your bids in now ladies & gents
Old 19th Jul 2023, 11:27
pr00ne

Received 139 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Not_a_boffin
Er, when I watched it, the government benches were much fuller than the opposition ones - albeit there were perhaps 40 in the house in total. Including the Labour party's unspoken doyen Magic Grandpa......

The number of Labour members who made any meaningful contribution were Healey, Spellar, Jones, Twigg, Sheerman and Antioniazzi. All got a courteous and accurate answer, even Spellar whose unfailing ability to come to the wrong conclusion or misunderstand is unmatched. All whinged about the reduction of strength in the Army. Not a single one was able to suggest why - even after that reduction - the British Army will still be some 10% larger than the Bundeswehr.

In contrast to your portrayal, Hansard records almost a dozen Tory contributions, nigh-on double that of Labour.

Be very careful what you wish for. Do you honestly think a party full of lefty lawyers will do anything other than mouth platitudes?
Watching on Parliament TV I saw deserted Government (and SNP!) benches and a nigh on empty Treasury Bench!

A party full of lefty lawyers? Really? I think not! And I AM a lefty lawyer!