PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Classy KLM Captain
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2023, 17:27
Intrance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've offloaded my fair share of bags due to lack of ground staff. Doesn't really come to mind to be worried about what may happen and if insurance covers it. All in all I think it is a fairly low risk activity on my type, but whatever.

And then there are the cases where attitudes, rules and liability create funny situations. Main cargo door spring broken, door doesn't stay open anymore on the remaining spring. Maintenance had devices a strap solution. All stations informed. Part was not in stock, but ordered and scheduled to arrive in the evening, so one day of inconvenience. Outstations in smaller regional airports had no issue managing. Prop the door up, load the bags, all good. One of the outstations literally manufactured a sturdy prop to hold the door open in addition to the strap and left it in the cargo compartment for other stations to use.

Ground handling in the main hub was forbidden by their higher-ups to load that compartment due questions about liability and such. So leaving checked bags behind because it wouldn't all fit in the other compartments. But we arrived from every outstation with a full main cargo compartment. And they did offload those bags, but refused to then load the bags for the next flight in that same compartment... Must be different insurance policies for loading and unloading .