PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cessna Conquest weird landing...
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2023, 12:43
inbalance

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pilot DAR
I opine that the pilot chose to land at a runway which was very short compared to that ideal for the airplane, and perhaps with confined approaches (which may affected the decision to land downwind). If the pilot has used the entire length of the runway to land and stop from what appears to have been an extra steep, slow approach anyway, it's probably too short for proper accelerate/stop distance for a normal takeoff - the runway was too short for that airplane. The pilot suspected that, and flew an extra slow approach, so even the meagre effort to flare probably resulted in a stall, and drop onto the runway. But once it hit ('cause it's too slow to fly again), hold the nose as light as possible to keep it on the runway, rather than riding through pitch change bounces.

The hard landing resulted in reason to believe there had been nosewheel damage. I was taught (after I'd had a landing gear malfunction in a 310), once you have landed and stopped successfully on three wheels, which are still supporting the plane - stop it, chock all three wheels, and have the gear safely locked down before you taxi it anywhere! Bad enough to execute a landing like that, worse to finish the landing still on three wheels, then have the nose gear collapse taxiing in, and then have two prop strikes!
The Cessna 441 doesn’t need long runways.
Half of the runway length in this video is enough.
500 meters or 1600 ft is enough.
What we are seeing here is a total lack of basic flying skills.