PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Toxic Cabin Air/Aerotoxic Syndrome
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2023, 09:36
TLoraine

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
I have been asked to provide an update on the TCP blood test. The blood test was presented at the 2023 Aircraft Cabin Air Conference by the research team at the University of Washington in Seattle. Their results clearly show that the blood test can confirm an exposure to the organophosphate tricresyl phosphate (TCP). TCP is used in a number of different applications but a specific formulation of TCP is widely used in jet engine oils, it has a low ortho isomer content especially blended to reduce expousre to the ortho isomers - this was done on the basis the other isomers were less problematic. This will soon be shown to be an error. Swab samples of aircraft cabins confirm exposure to these specific low ortho blends.
The TCP blood test works by seeing the additional molecular weight (part of the TCP molecule) attached to a specific protein. The research has been funded entiterly by the Royal Australian Air Force and pilot / cabin crew unions including AIPA, ALAEA and AFAP in Australia; APA, AFA (the primary investor), TWU in the US; Aeropers, SNPL, VC, IPA, Unite the Union and others in Europe to name a small few.
The research is now being prepared to be published in a peer reviewed journal and adapted so any certified laborartory anywhere in the world will be able to run the tests. This requires additional funding and unions are being asked to help with this final step.
I was on a flight in 2006 where there was a serious contaminated air exposure, the ailrine told me it was only de-icing fluid and it was perhaps something I had eaten that caused my and the co-pilot's symptoms. My blood was taken and sent to the USA and frozen for 17 years until last month, when it was tested and shared with my doctor. The results - significant exposure to TCP.
The blood test will be a very useful tool for aircrew who encounteer any form of impairment or where flight safety was compromised in any way from contaminated air or unknown sources. Many passengers and crews are actively asking for the test and ultimately I believe it will expedite the introduction of bleed air cleaning technologies currently being evaluated by the big 3 aircraft manufacturers and new less hazardous synthetic engine oils in advanced phases of development.
For more information please email the Global Cabin Air Quality Executive at [email protected]