PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Edinburgh-4
Thread: Edinburgh-4
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2023, 21:40
NotanAVGeek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Saabdriver1
And EDI not without its own inbound ATC slot delays too.
Seems to be happening more and more aswell, yesterday arrivals were restricted due to a taxiway requiring urgent repair for the duration of the afternoon. Same thing happened last week too albeit that was at night where it was a bit easier to manage the traffic flow.

An earlier post hit the nail on the head, it’s easy to blame the ground handlers but it’s everyone. I’ve never known the fuellers to struggle as much as they are this year. Wheelchair assistance has went ‘in house’ after years of changing handling company and yet I’d say it’s a worse service than it’s been for a long time.

Everyday starts with a clean slate but then airlines have crewing issues often caused by delays the previous day, aircrafts don’t make it back due to runway repairs in the night leading to diversions, long haul aircraft coming in very early into first wave, then after first wave if you’ve dodged a slot outbound it’ll hit you inbound and so the cycle begins, aircrafts sometimes 5-6 at a time all landed with no stands resulting in a last minute dash across the apron (especially if a widebody is delayed), ramp agents or staff to disembark the flight are then late to arrive which then delays them further while their next flight then is on approach. That flight then waits ages on steps or a jetbridge due to the previous flight. If you have assistance passengers it’s not uncommon to wait 30 min + for the ambulift truck, or the assistance staff are stuck over an hour in the arrivals hall waiting on luggage that can’t be offloaded. Fuellers running out of fuel after every widebody.

It’s a horrific cycle and a poor way to operate. Thus damaging the reputation of the Airport, the ground handling teams, not to mention staff welfare and morale. Those that do come to work then get abuse from understandably irate passengers.

I’ve never known the Aviation industry to be this bad. Above is a daily occurrence, and that’s actually one of the better days.

It’s fantastic to see so many new routes and a wonderful variety of Airlines, terrific for the spotters but I can’t see it getting better anytime soon.