PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA IEP Written Exam (EASA IR to FAA IR Conversion)
Old 17th Jul 2023, 12:18
Jifrisco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello Selfin,
I now have received my validation letter from the FAA and I'm preparing my visit to USA.
Still a bit hesitating between the validation and the conversion processes and so far it seems that many schools in USA don't know the related regulations.
Knowing I have a FAA PPL (standalone) and a EASA PPL +IR :

If I go for the validation, I guess I can use the 61.75 d) to validate my EASA IR and put it on my FAA PPL, by passing a IFP written test and an IPC. I had a doubbt when reading 61.75 b) " Does not hold a U.S. pilot certificate other than a U.S. student pilot certificate", but I suppose this one is only for validating the PPL, not the IR. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If I go for the conversion under TIP-L I would fly with a safety pilot in order to get minimum 10 hours IFR in USA and avoid the need of acclimatization flights with instuctor. In this case, I can log the IFR hours as PIC, right ? In order to fly IFR (SID, en-route, holdings, intercepts, approaches,...) do I have to file a IFR FPL ? Or do I file VFR and ask ATC to do "simulated IFR" ?