PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Disgusting Jetstar
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2023, 22:19
MagnumPI

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts
Earlier in this thread I made a comment about the general lack of Customer Service training and inability of some staff to empathise with customers and the general public, which almost certainly contributed to the situation at the start of this thread.

I had an appalling first hand experience with Jetstar over the weekend when I took a family member with 18mth old toddler to a regional airport as they had to fly to Sydney. Generally, my family and I don't fly with Jetstar - but in this instance the timing of the flight meant they were the only option that could work.

We arrived at the airport with a travel stroller and (carefully weighed) carry on bag, plus a small backpack for the toddler's stuff on the flight. Extra baggage piece was paid for with the appropriate level of fare, and I noted that Jetstar charge $30 for the privilege of having an infant sitting on your lap. Not aware of any other Aus airline that tries this on?

At the gate, after courteously letting most people board, my family member and I politely asked the uniformed Jetstar employee if she could have assistance getting either the bag or travel strolled up the stairs into the aircraft as she has MS and struggles to lift things up stairs.

The reply was curt and shockingly bereft of any empathy:

"No."

To which I replied...

"I'm sorry, is it possible that someone else - say one of the ground crew or someone could give her a hand please?"

The employee, now visibly irritated, replied:

"No. I can't help you. You should have checked the bag. It's not our problem."

I actually couldn't believe what I was hearing.

"Well I'll go out and help her up the stairs then. She has a disability."

"No, you can't. You're not authorised."

(At this point I thought briefly about pointing her I did in fact have an ASIC, but then pictured overzealous regional airport jackbooted security thugs arresting me and thought better.)

"So you're saying that no-one will assist her, and that she has to carry this stuff and a toddler up the stairs herself?"

By now the family member is practically in tears, toddler is crying, and she gives up on the robot we'd been dealing with, heading out onto the tarmac.

I watch through the security fence and see an elderly passenger who was also boarding took pity on her and offered to help. Two ground handlers stood at the bottom of the stairs and watched.

---

On arrival, the family member allows all to disembark first so she can take time to get the stroller and suitcase out. The cabin crew knew she was there and offered no help. They decided to start boarding the next leg without waiting for her to disembark, so she had to fight through people streaming down the aisle to exit.

No care.

No compassion.

Staff that seem almost hostile to the patrons that support their employment.

If this is your attitude you have no business being in a service industry. You might also need professional help.

If one of my staff treated anyone like that, let alone someone with a disability travelling with a child, they'd receive a formal warning and remedial training - and if it happened again they'd be fired.