PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2023, 06:23
Flyingdog84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello folks, 39 here from Europe. Just want to share my experience with you all, maybe will help somebody.
I completed all my beloved training, after lot of study, happiness, madness, anxiety... I can be proud of myself. I did not accomplished something of extraordinary but with family, job ecc ecc was not easy, also economically.
Now I am facing the other side, much more disappointing, trying to find a decent job, a job that pay for my job, not the opposite.
Only one company answered me besides lot of CV sent everywhere in Europe.
For a job, need to pay lot of money for the type, live without salary for few months during the training, after that the salary is peanuts for almost one year. In this mean time the old new pilot need to survive, pay a new rent somewhere, still provide for the family, ecc....
I am a civil engineer with a good salary with the dream and the love for aviation but facing a real budget plan, be pilot will just make me go through hard time and will take more than 10 year for get back this new investment without considering all the licence cost.
I did a budget plan considering all the cost, the missed gains, housing, living and all the predictable factors, also with the option to become captain after the 5th year. Make no sense for me "tight the belt" and also my family do not deserve to face difficult time because I have a dream.
I believe Europe do not really need pilots for now, maybe in the future, I will try to be ready for that moment. I think in US the situation is different.
cheers!!
​​​​​​

Last edited by Flyingdog84; 15th Jul 2023 at 08:07.