PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Twin Otter (N153QS) ditches into Pacific Ocean
Old 14th Jul 2023, 12:56
MakeItHappenCaptain

Location: Hollister, Hilo, Pago Pago, Norfolk Is., Brisbane, depending which day of the week it is...
Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts
A CVR is standard equipment on Series 400 Twin Otters, every one that ever left the factory was equipped with both a CVR and a FDR.
My statement that DHC-6 doesn't have them was incorrect. CVR/FDRs on the -400 (only) may have been fitted initially (as you said, you wrote the manual so you also probably also reviewed and memorised every single equipment list on every -400 produced) but I have yet to fly one that still had them installed.
CAN BE FITTED I believe is the exact wording used in the -400 AFM for both devices.

​​​​As noted above, there is no factory certification of any kind for overweight operations.​​​
Yep. My bad. Good job clarifying in case someone went and tanked a Twotter based purely upon my statement.
(BTW, Something in inverted commas/quote marks, such as "Factory Certified" normally can be taken to be a generalisation.)
https://media.giphy.com/media/qs6ev2pm8g9dS/giphy.gif

My comment was more directed at the fact the Twin Otter is one of the few types IME that actually published a ferry system in the AFM (B-N Islander is another). And (as you wrote it) the DHC-6-400 does mention this in Section 7 Systems in the AFM as well as further information in a supplement.