PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hill Helicopters HX50
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2023, 10:01
Bell_ringer

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Shagpile
This thread is a classic Early Adopters vs Laggards in Diffusion of Innovation theory. We are fundamentally different people with different personalities & risk profiles.
There is some of that. But those early adopters also make great marks for a con, so willing to leap and driven by FOMO.
As a counter I would offer the hype cycle, and with Hill we are galloping towards the trough of disillusionment.
I have made my business from seeking out new technologies, filtering the good from the bad, and taking them to market.
I am all for change and disruption, but I know what is involved to innovate and make it real.
There is a fine line between BS and good salesmanship and if you can't spot the difference you may end up disappointed.

It's worth adding, I admire his commitment and conviction. The scale of this endeavour is immense and properly fraught with risk and the opportunity to fail.
Good intentions and ambition are good stuff, but it doesn't pay the bills.
Any innovator that has survived startup and gone on to change their industry has flirted with failure and, often, had to break many rules to do it. No industry wants to be changed and will resist any threat to their own livelihoods.
Yes, it is only money, you could look at it that way.

But when, if, it takes off there is much more at risk.
Something those last occupants of Titan learned the hard way.

Last edited by Bell_ringer; 13th Jul 2023 at 10:31.