PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-3
Thread: Southampton-3
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2023, 21:14
davidjohnson6

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by stewyb
What’s to say that if they have a single route at BRS, they cannot serve the south coast on the same basis where there may be demand, your logic doesn’t stack up!
Airports with just a single route at a low weekly frequency tend not to be very profitable for LCCs, particularly when there are good transport links to other airports in the network which encourages pax to use an alternate airport if their nearest airport is showing high fares. Ideally an LCC airline will want airports with plenty of flights per week to other destinations within their network - pick a few sample airports in Ryanair's or Southwest's networks and you'll see what I mean. I'm guessing that Bristol is probably just about hanging on as a Wizz destination, but it's certainly not looking healthy from the point of view of a Wizz accountant. Long term, Wizz needs to bulk up on BRS or consider dropping BRS or find some special case why BRS should be kept (e.g. pax are unusually willing to pay a high fare premium to use BRS)
If Bristol can support only a single Wizz route, I'm not particularly hopeful around SOU's chances of getting routes from Wizz in the immediate future

Last edited by davidjohnson6; 12th Jul 2023 at 21:27.