PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gatwick-3
Thread: Gatwick-3
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2023, 14:03
vectisman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perhaps a naive suggestion from myself, but perhaps easyjet should consider replacing even more A319s at Gatwick with more A320/A321 aircraft.
They could then reduce frequencies on some key routes. Another issue is that only 2 of those 82 aircraft night stop elsewhere which adds to pressure on apron space and very early morning departures.
BA and Wizzair now only use A320 or A321 from the airport.
This summer as last Easyjet are having to use the south terminal for up to 30 departures a day. I can't see anymore expansion from them in terms of movements and based aircraft being sustainable.
Furthermore, I am not sure how many BA slots they are still using under lease this summer if any, but if so these will be gradually need to be returned as BA expands flights with Euroflyer. Last summer it was about 16 slot pairs per day and last winter
about 6 slot pairs a day. I read articles earlier this year that BA is definitely planning on having them back. I know that EasyJet took a large of slots from Norwegian after their withdrawal of long haul and European routes from Gatwick apart from their Scandinavian operations.
Over the next few years the plan is for BA Euroflyer to have up to 30 aircraft based as was the case for BA short haul pre-pandemic. BA have indicated they will be taking slots back from both Vueling and EasyJet for their own expansion plans, both mainline and otherwise.
Easyjet has quite a bit to think about in terms of their Gatwick operation.
Gatwick itself is in a difficult position regarding demands from airlines after it suffered so badly during the pandemic. Fortunately the recovery has been strong for them and it has returned to profit. Also credit to them for pushing ahead with Northern Runway plans and other
improvements.
Looking at FR24 the number of departures per day in the coming week are averaging 440 which is near or at 2019 levels. I think in 2018 and 2019 peak summer departures may have been 450 or so max.