PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any nuclear test survivors on here?
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2023, 16:25
bugged on the right

Received 184 Likes on 71 Posts
I've just finished reading Frank Walker's Maralinga I have an interest because I was a young boy living in Victoria in the 50s when these tests were going on. Despite weather forecasts showing unfavourable winds, and against the advice of the meteorologists some tests were carried out and dumped a lot of radioactive material on Eastern Australia. I also participated in the free school milk program at school so would say that I have had a fair old dose. After Victoria we moved to Amberley in the 60s, our married quarter right across the street from the decontamination pad. Where the water from that went, God knows but my late brother (cancer) spent a lot of time fishing in the local creek. We even visited the radioactive Lincoln which had flown several times through a mushroom cloud and was abandoned in the middle of the base. The book describes the disgraceful lies and coverups which happened and my blood is still boiling. We were all used as guinea pigs and dead children were having bones removed for Strontium 90 testing. This wasn't confined to British tests either and during visits to the Marshall Islands I would often see locals with large growths on them. Some of the tests at Bikini were carried out against met advice. Most of all I feel for the men who were exposed to the explosions , were sent to ground zero straight after and who wore no protective clothing at all. The administrators of the whole business well clear and out of danger. Shame on all who were responsible, a medal is no comfort. It should be called the being intentionally put in mortal danger and lied to medal

Last edited by bugged on the right; 11th Jul 2023 at 17:13.