PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-3
Thread: Southampton-3
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2023, 07:04
rog747

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by TCAS FAN
Looking forward to what could happen with the extension. Taking a simplistic view after looking at some takeoff performance data for the A320Neo. At max takeoff weight required takeoff run is 1951 metre, with under 150 metres less than this available at SOU. Max range at max takeoff weight 3500 NM.

With TFS under 1600 NM from SOU, maybe an option?

A lot of other prospective destinations close to or less than this.

Thank you, your simplistic, but quite accurate summary (as always) is exactly what the SOU Ops Director announced to the Press well over 2 years ago.

This means, as he explained, opens up our little Airport for the larger Aircraft ''that currently use SOU'' (ie: the Easyjet Switzerland 186 seat A320neo) to be able to perform the longer routes with an economical Payload.

The Clearway/Obstacle (Trees issue) remains to be seen if that impacts Take Off Performance Data as you mentioned last week.

With your 'sums' noted above then it may allow almost any route, to be flown non-stop to/from SOU with the Easyjet Group's Overseas based aircraft.

TFS is sadly not an Easyjet Europe Base, but there are many of the Med and Euro Zone Airports that could be attractive at SOU, such as ALC, AGP, FAO, VCE, NCE.

Easyjet Switzerland also have large base at Basel, as well as at Geneva. Basel was always popular with the Brits.

Easyjet UK have bases at EDI GLA LPL BFS.

As discussed many times, I do not though, see an Easyjet UK SOU Base opening anytime soon.

Lunch on me if I am proved wrong lol!

Replying to two Quotes from SWBKCB

1/

''How many fit in with EZY's swing towards "Easy Holidays?''

Well, plenty TBH,

but, here's the thing ----

Did a search on EasyJet holidays for a week in August for Austria (surely think Lakes and Mountains?) flying from LGW and BRS.

All I got was Salzburg city centre Hotel offers, no resorts.

Did the same search for Switzerland and just got Geneva city centre, again NO Resort holidays.

Plus this popped up - Sorry, we have limited holidays for your search.

So, I toddle off and search Jet2, TUI, and Inghams Holidays, and get a huge range of Resort package holidays.

This is where Easyjet cannot compete yet with the Holiday Majors.

EasyJet only launched its own Holiday arm in 2019 joining ATOL and ABTA, and as such are still new to the ''Beaches''.

They do not IMO yet have the empathy of selling Package Holidays, nor are they the 'Go To' Tour Operator for many folk.

SWBKCB

2/

''Nice problem to have - obviously the airlines involved are happy''.

(Relates to BOH airport chaos newspaper report last week over short staffing)

Well, TUI Airways at BOH are not happy, nor are their passengers, nor are Ryanair's passengers.

Folk will not tolerate this for long.

As mentioned already, BOH is creaking with the extra flights this year, so we now hope that BOH Airport will address their Staff issues, especially in light of the Summer 2024 expansion.