PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAP extra long landing
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2023, 15:50
1southernman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lookleft
As many of the airline pilots who actually have posted have stated ITS NOT THE BLOODY POINT! You have a TDZ and a certain latitude either side of it. Its what the landing figures are predicated on. and its what any half decent airline pilot should be able to achieve. What this video shows is a crew who have put the fate of their lives and that of the passengers in the laws of physics as they have left SOPS, skill and any sense of professionalism way, way behind them. They have decided to become test pilots and have bought the pax along for the ride. Runway excursions continue to be a problem and the reluctance to go-around is a good reason why. The only point that you are committed to the landing is when the thrust reversers have deployed. The sad reality is, probably this crew were more concerned about doing a go-around than they were running off the end. They more than likely thought that there was enough room to stop but had no numbers, technique or SOPs on which to base that decision on. All they had were wide eyes and four feet on the brake pedals.
To me the appr "looks" decent but without knowing speeds and alts it's impossible to say whether it meets the stable criteria...When the gain in alt in the "flair" occurred I thought ok they're GA but...oh well...I'd like to think somebody said in a quite moment on tax in or at the pub debrief "ya know we shoulda GA "...