PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - G/A Light Aircraft ditches off Leighton Beach, WA
Old 7th Jul 2023, 22:58
First_Principal

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by EXDAC
For those that don't have PA-28 time - The fuel selector is easily operated with the right hand and its position can be seen by the pilot...
Interesting, while it's been a while since I flew one I don't think I ever tried switching tanks with my right hand - always the left. Perhaps it's like the Auster flaps where some people like reaching over with their right arm, whereas others just reach straight up with their left, anyway I wonder if there's a reason why you do it this way?

Otherwise I'm pleased you didn't use the word 'easily' with respect to actually viewing the thing, it's not exactly in one's normal field of view...

zegnaangelo I think you're quite right re the startle, I had something similar when a friend 'failed' an engine on me in a twin when I was trundling along happily looking out at some mountains on a sunny day .. took me more seconds than it should have done to figure out what was going on. Until it actually happens we'll never know how we will react in real life, and while practice is very important we can only hope it's enough, hence my interest in additional methodologies to assist us in the event.

FP.
The following users liked this post: