PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - G/A Light Aircraft ditches off Leighton Beach, WA
Old 7th Jul 2023, 02:57
EXDAC

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
For those that don't have PA-28 time - The fuel selector is easily operated with the right hand and its position can be seen by the pilot. It only has two positions that can be easily selected. Don't like the tank it's on then select the other one. I don't think I could select "Off" in flight as it is damn awkward on the ground and usually takes two hands. An experienced PA-28 pilot could operate the fuel valve blindfolded in less than 5 seconds.

I do not believe the ergonomics of the PA-28 fuel valve were a factor in this accident.

What is of interest to me is why one tank did not have the standard fuel strainer fitted. Was it never fitted when the airplane was manufactured? Who in their right mind would remove it and make no log entry? Without the strainer any piece of debris as large as the fuel port could completely cut off the fuel supply. Very difficult for the whole surface area of the strainer to be obstructed.

In over 1,000 hours in my PA-28 I don't think I have ever found water or any other contamination in the fuel. My only engine scare was in a C-182 with bladder tanks. It released trapped water in a Vx climb. Can't trap water in the PA-28 tanks.