PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA pax stabbed with broken bottle during flight to LGW
Old 7th Jul 2023, 02:42
MechEngr

Received 220 Likes on 123 Posts
Thankfully they were all screened for weapons before boarding.

“We want to assure customers that this behaviour will never be tolerated and we will always take the appropriate action.”

Thank them for that. Certainly this statement will distinguish them from other airlines. I know they feel the need to say it, it's just awkward. It would be interesting to see all other airlines making similar statements, but that would draw attention to the fact that this behavior did happen, suggesting it could happen again. Makes me glad the local liquor stores all use plastic for the discardable one-shot bottles for littering the streets rather than the shattering glass version. Maybe plastic wine bottles in airports? Or box wine. And soft sippy cups. Or - maybe like those foil coated plastic juice bags with the tough little straws.

A commercial pilot friend of mine remarked on something similar, that a person wearing only a towel could have done 9/11 by breaking some glass and using the towel to protect their hands. Now it won't work because (I hope against hope) that the cockpit door will remain locked when such things happen. He claimed to have told his FO that she would get sent out the door with a fire-ax. She asked why and he said "You are short, I'm the Captain. Swing for the kneecaps." He was a good guy and would actually have kept the door locked.