PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fate of RAF Scampton
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2023, 18:10
cheekychimp

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Gordon Brown
What about the £300m investment that WLDC has secured? Lincolnshire is one of Englands poorest counties and this investment would be huge for the local area.

I also consider the proposal for a 7000 acre solar farm in the same area which will cover Grade 1,2&3 farmland another egregious example of the contempt with which this government holds its rural citizens. Right or wrong, it was these people that got Brexit over the line and this is the thanks they get. Denied a huge local investment and certainly forced into accepting these damned eyesore solar panels (public enquiry? Don’t make me laugh).

No solar panels in the Home Counties though. None in the brownfield sites.

I can’t believe it has come to me writing this but I feel utterly disenfranchised. Which major political party actually cares for the rural constituencies?

Hey ho. What do I know?
I'm Lincolnshire born and bred, all my family are farmers in the Scampton/7000 acres area and I'm currently based here, so I can sympathise to an extent. But, most of the complaints about the change of use of Scampton and the 7000 acres are pure Nimbyism. The lost opportunities and cancellation of the £300m investment is the real tragedy here, the constant whining about 'loss of heritage' 'forgetting our brave boy's' 'how can they let such a historic base house immigrants ' etc etc is becoming boring. There are hundreds of old air bases, Scampton is just one more.
As for the 7000 acres, there have been no compulsory purchases, it's up to the land owners what they do with it, a lot of the top grade farm land round here is used to grow Willow, Miscanthus, Maize and other crops that go straight to bio digesters and power stations to provide renewable energy, so the loss of food production isn't much of an argument. People just don't like the look of them, fair enough, but until we have cheap, renewable and clean energy from other sources we're stuck with them.
The following 2 users liked this post by cheekychimp: