PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fate of RAF Scampton
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2023, 17:39
Gordon Brown

Received 37 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Viking
I’m with Downsizer on this. We’re all either ex military on here or have a keen interest in military matters. We obviously care about our old bases and squadrons (and dogs!). We can’t honestly expect the public to get overly excited about the remains of a long-dead dog and the crumbly old buildings surrounding the grave site. They don’t even care about the people currently serving let alone those that served 80 years ago.

I think there are better things to get excited over. And yes I understand that this could be viewed as symptomatic of a wider malaise. But if you want public support try whipping up a frenzy about current pay and living conditions. At least that will benefit those that currently serve. Maybe then they might understand and care a little more about history and traditions.

BV
What about the £300m investment that WLDC has secured? Lincolnshire is one of Englands poorest counties and this investment would be huge for the local area.

I also consider the proposal for a 7000 acre solar farm in the same area which will cover Grade 1,2&3 farmland another egregious example of the contempt with which this government holds its rural citizens. Right or wrong, it was these people that got Brexit over the line and this is the thanks they get. Denied a huge local investment and certainly forced into accepting these damned eyesore solar panels (public enquiry? Don’t make me laugh).

No solar panels in the Home Counties though. None in the brownfield sites.

I can’t believe it has come to me writing this but I feel utterly disenfranchised. Which major political party actually cares for the rural constituencies?

Hey ho. What do I know?