PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heads Up - "Strategic Air Command" on TV
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2023, 13:57
LTCTerry

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This thread prompted me to watch the movie. On "that" streaming site no one seems to name. My wife had never seen it.

I've been having problems with my Sony television that I didn't know if I could attribute to my cable service or the TV. After the TV froze up the fifth time I just pulled up the movie on the laptop. The laptop on the lap top fills a bigger angle and looks like a bigger screen.

My wife asked why I was a bit teary eyed. The movie is 1955. This is the era my dad got his wings. WWII officers were the leadership. They formed the leadership that formed me as a young officer long ago. I was commissioned in 1985 and was pretty sure the Cold War was going to last forever. My dad was stationed in Germany in the late 70s. I remember posters for the Soviet Military Liaison Mission cars. Etc. I'm very much a product of a Cold War military upbringing.

SAC in 1955 was the only piece of what became the nuclear triad. Nukes/plans from that era are pretty fascinating.

Turns out I bought the TV in 2015 for $500. Its tube predecessor lasted well into the high def era but wasn't missed when it was gone. I can now get the same size TV off brand for $120. Not sure if Sony is still worth the splurge, it's $300. It's hard to find 32" TVs these days. They were once a size people dreamed of. Now I'm constrained by an awkwardly located piece of built in furniture that constrains me to 32" - just half the size of a typical TV now.

The B-36 is amazing. The B-47 is gorgeous. The B-52 was already flying in small numbers when the movie was made and is obviously still around. I was age "minus five" then; my parents hadn't met. My dad was not yet even at the base where he eventually met my mother.

The B-36 had large multi-tire trucks for landing gear. The prototype used huge single wheels for the main gear. One is on display at the National Museum of the United States Air Force in Dayton, OH. Need to go back for a visit!

So much for rambling - time to go drop off a shoe for repair and buy a new TV while I wait.