PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Next head of NATO
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2023, 22:11
Finningley Boy

Received 77 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Diff Tail Shim
Ben Wallaces qualification? A ceremonial infantry SO2 that became head of a government department that he has destroyed with his incompetence. NATO head needs to be a top diplomat. Has always been the case. People like George Robertson whom I.do.believe was greatly respected in that role. My opinion as a 25 year time served SNCO, not a short service commission. Edited. Sorry. He made Captain. So no higher than the not to be SENgO Steve Baker whom many of my friends do not have a good word for.
So given vonder Leyen's track record you reckon Biden going out of his way to squeeze this round peg into a square hole is preferable to the UK Defence Secretary? I'm sure you can throw back the charge tht defence spending has continued to wither on the vine under Wallace, it did so while George Robertson was Defence Secretary, cast your mind back to SDR 1998. Its been down hill all the way since. So what makes George Robertson (I've no objections to the man and his time as NATO Secretary General by the way) a "top diplomat"? Is it simply because he didn't attract oprobrium?

FB