PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - G/A Light Aircraft ditches off Leighton Beach, WA
Old 4th Jul 2023, 22:09
First_Principal

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by EXDAC
... I would read a one page summary if there was one....
Thirsty did a fair job of their summary I thought, and it's less than one page

I suppose that, without having listened to the audio, some of that summary might be fairly cryptic. To put it in one sentence then; noted [unusual] water in fuel at start of flight, drained, engine died long way into flight, carb heat+mix rich, engine ok, engine died again, low altitude, focus on landing, did not swap tanks, relatively gentle and successful water landing, frank retrospective re training, what could/should have done, initial findings of ATSB of non-standard fuel pickup and missing filter, why engine died may be blockage or could be nil fuel in RHS tank (not according to gauge).

While Thirsty's report and the long sentence above may cover the salient points I think the discussion is worthwhile listening to, and even the most grizzled veteran pilot could probably get something from it. Certainly I did, and I'm still thinking about it now.

Otherwise thanks for the link to the filters, I used to work on them a bit and that brings back hazy memories. My feeling is that we didn't inspect them terribly regularly so yes, could well be worth checking when the opportunity arises.

FP.
The following users liked this post: