PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stansted-4
Thread: Stansted-4
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2023, 19:45
Sotonsean

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The terminal could also be extended out as far as the current transit rail tracks. The pier connection to satellite 1 will be two storey for arriving and departing passengers. The area below what is now the transit area could be a lower link directly from piers satellites 1 and 2 to immigration and the baggage hall.

So am I correct in assuming the plan remains the same as regards to the original extension plans. The new extension will be for arrivals similar to the original plans for the block extension. Is the current arrivals area moving to the new extension or just being enlarged. If the arrivals area is indeed moving to the extension will the departure lounge be extended into what is now the arrivals area.

No mention of a satellite 4 which I'm really surprised about. But otherwise I like the idea of extending the current terminal rather than adding an ugly block extension. I personally think that having a pier connection to satellite 1 will be a good thing and will potentially eleviate bottlenecks during peak periods. Only downside is, it will more than likely be quite a long walk to and from satellite 1.

Unless the transit does remain in situ but purely for arriving passengers. Which I don't think would happen but just putting it out there just in case 😉

When the terminal was last extended in around 2008 I can vividly remember the difference in the colour of the ceiling compared to the rest of the building. The smoke ban had been in place for several years before that last extension and you can clearly see the difference in the colour of the ceiling. I can remember visiting STN shortly after the opening of the terminal in 1991 and being impressed with how bright, white and gleaming the entire building was.

The whole ceiling if at all possible due to it's material needs a complete clean and makeover. My eye's always seem to immediately stare at the state of the terminal ceiling whenever I enter the building. The difference is going to look even more obvious with a further extension to the terminal. I always thought that the during the time of the pandemic it would have been an ideal time to have had the opportunity to have cleaned the ceiling.

Last edited by Sotonsean; 3rd Jul 2023 at 20:09.