PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Job prospects after modular ATPL (UK)? Loan or secure a job?
Old 3rd Jul 2023, 09:43
hobbit1983
Professional Student

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by alexeyAP
Frankly no, and nor would I want to put the financial strain on my family to advance my own career interests.
You may have to. You won't be able to get a loan for the entire training costs. Your options are (as far as I can tell):

save up and fund £100k

get your parents to remortgage

The military is both competitive and also will probably be able to tell you are after a flying qualification. It will also take a decade or more. There are very few, if any, full scholarships in 2023 or the foreseeable future. Over the past twenty years, I have encountered/can think of precisely three. One was for one person a year, one was for just one person (and was an in-house/not advertised deal) and the other was by EasyJet; but only for 6 female pilots. As far as I know, none are still avalialbe.
Is there a disadvantage to working, saving on the side, then doing modular full time? The way I see it I would rather be devoted to one thing at a time (plus the ~4.5% interest is nice too )
Yes. It will take you a very long time and you will probably struggle financially. It's also a slightly crazy financial decision. If you had a spare £100k, it is a risky investment to invest in flying training. You have absolutely no guarantee of a job at the end of it. Be warned.
is there any advantage whatsoever to doing it integrated? Genuinely interested as for 2x the price it doesn't seem like a lot of bang for the buck.
You traditionally have access to more employment opportunities with airlines, some exclusively. Read around on this forum for more info. There's plenty of it.