PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Job prospects after modular ATPL (UK)? Loan or secure a job?
Old 3rd Jul 2023, 09:21
hobbit1983
Professional Student

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by alexeyAP
Hello lads
Try again.
all the pilots I've spoken to agree wholeheartedly that it is one of the best jobs that one could possibly work.
Job, yes. Mostly. The career, however, is terrible. Be prepared to be made redundant on more than one occasion.
Would you recommend going to uni, getting a secure and well-paying job and saving for a few years then starting training or going to uni and taking out a loan straight off the bat?
If you really, really, want to fly for a job then you do not need a degree. You may be well advised to have a backup career/means of income, but this does not necessarily mean you need a degree to do so.
I appreciate that financial stability may be something that employers are looking for in a candidate
Several employers are probably looking for your ability to pay for a type rating.
it would also allow me to get some real experience of industry before starting pilot training
A degree will not (mostly). It is an academic qualification; the real world is very different.
I was considering going to uni for software engineering/computing science, civil engineering, electrical engineering or even aerospace engineering and getting a job in those fields.
As far as I know (not qualified in any of those fields, but I know people who are), software/computer engineering is a good bet these days, aerospace engineering is probably a harder career.
(I would also hate the idea of an outstanding loan hovering above my head while I complete my studies).
Unless you are lucky enough to be able to pay for £100k of pilot training outright, then you are going to hate pilot training...and getting a loan for that.
Having got your ATPL, is finding a job difficult?
Yes. And you won't get an ATPL until you've done a good amount of flying for an operator. You get a CPL. Also known anecdotally as a 'frozen' ATPL, but this is not an official term.
I have heard (or read rather) horror stories of people floating about for years after securing their license looking for a job only to fly bizjets in the end.
And just WTF is so bad about flying bizjets for a living, young wannabe?
Would UK airlines such as easyjet ever even consider hiring modular graduates or do they hire exclusively from their cadet programs?
As far as I know, cadet programs only. This may have changed.
(Again the cost + high risk + low experience/occupational mobility) makes this route very very unattractive for me.
Welcome to aviation. This will be true no matter what you fly.