PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Job prospects after modular ATPL (UK)? Loan or secure a job?
Old 3rd Jul 2023, 05:48
VariablePitchP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alexeyAP
VariablePitchP,

Frankly no, and nor would I want to put the financial strain on my family to advance my own career interests.

Is there a disadvantage to working, saving on the side, then doing modular full time? The way I see it I would rather be devoted to one thing at a time (plus the ~4.5% interest is nice too )

Unfortunately you're right, all it took was one search for "integrated vs modular" and suddenly I'm up to my neck in adverts that look like something you could in an episode of Mr Bean. Especially nowadays with many ATOs having good links to the airlines (see ManFlex above) is there any advantage whatsoever to doing it integrated? Genuinely interested as for 2x the price it doesn't seem like a lot of bang for the buck.

That's the plan. Even better, uni's free in Scotland, so no debt as far as that's concerned. As I mentioned in a reply above (if it went through) there's also the university air squadrons which I think are good aviation experience while studying.

Cheers for the help, means a lot.
You’re welcome! Scottish uni? Then it’s an absolute no brainer if it’s free.

Just to make it absolutely clear, without backing from your parents, you’re not getting a loan. You might be able to borrow £5K but you haven’t got any security so they won’t lend you the money. Your only options are pay as you go, or save up and do it all. The latter is just adding 12 to 18 months and giving life more opportunities to get in the way and derail you.

Will it be a pretty grim 3 to 4 years of working full time whilst living at home / in a box flat on beans and rice whilst you spend every penny on training? Yes. Will it be worth it when you’re sat flying an airliner a decade from now, debt free? Also yes.

Last edited by VariablePitchP; 3rd Jul 2023 at 09:53.