PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 18 Injured CX880 after RTO.
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2023, 00:18
Jester64

Received 69 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by main_dog
Wow. I’m actually learning something from this thread! Great discussion.

Thanks gents, esp Jester (good food for thought, plus mature reactions I didn’t even think were allowed on the prune ) and ex Douglas Driver for the excellent reference.

At the end of the day split-second decision, no-one dead and airplane intact, well done. The Monday morning quarterbacking is inevitable in our profession, even Sully had a hard time justifying his decisions (and I for one would be happy to do half as well as he did in a situation half as difficult as he faced).
I’m open to always learning : )

It’s interesting the recommendations on that airbus safety publication hasn’t made its way to the FCTM - as we are told here to be ‘go minded’ and that ‘very few situations should lead to a reject’ above 100 knots, with speed discrepancy not specifically listed as one of them. Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for a reject due to a discrepancy (below 100 knots) but would be thinking twice about it above 100 knots if stop margin limited. This is why it’s important to scan all 3 speed indications early in the takeoff roll as alluded to in that safety publication and the FCTM. A good article by Airbus on RTO decision making here:

https://www.smartcockpit.com/docs/St...o_Decision.pdf

What’s interesting is the percentage of RTO over-run accidents between 1961-1999 that were initiated below V1.