PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Job prospects after modular ATPL (UK)? Loan or secure a job?
Old 2nd Jul 2023, 20:51
alexeyAP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi manflex,
Regarding no. 1, I agree that real world experience would be something more valuable for me than anything money can buy. Even testing the waters and establishing connections in other fields (mostly engineering like I mentioned before) would be a great way to build up a 'Plan B' in case aviation doesn't work out. I think that I will take your advice and go find myself a job after sixth form (although I was hoping to start working some retail jobs in S5 (Year 12 in England) and save up some money on the side), the advantages are innumerable. I have also investigated the University Air Squadrons which are run by the RAF (as well as the gliding scholarship which is available from 16 years old) and it seems like a decent way to get hands on with aircraft while doing a degree at uni. Working airside ops at my local field (EDI) might be a shout also? What do you think?

With no. 2, I was looking around at flight schools in my area (Edinburgh) and unfortunately one of my top picks (Tayside) just entered administration a few months ago. I'll keep nosing around but by the time I actually start training things could be very different. Do you think it's better to do a 'semi-integrated' (i.e. save up for the full cost and do modular in one big burst) or learn part-time on the side? My one concern with the latter is that it could take infinitely longer if training is only confined to weekends and holidays as opposed to doing it full time, especially with things like cheaper hour-building opportunities in the States (not like you can commute to Florida for a day or two!).

my current ATO
If you wouldn't mind, could you tell me the name of your ATO? You can PM me if it suits.

​​​​​​​easyJet (school placement)
By 'school placement', do you mean the ATPL school refers students to EZY? Or it's like a tagged integrated program? And do they type rate with EZY as well?

​​​​​​​TUI (networking)
Just a month or two ago I read about Tui offering training which is then bonded for a few years on something like a 25k salary, would you endorse this type of training or are there hidden risks involved? Many people on this forum advise to steer well clear of anything bonded but to be honest it seems like an attractive offer. At the same time, if it's too good to be true, it probably is. And money is not an issue; I would happily accept 25k for a few years if it meant being paid to fly around 737s.

​​​​​​​Airlines couldn’t care less what training route you took- so long as A.) your ATPL average is good
That's good to hear, hopefully if I put my head down and study study study I can eventually get to the happy place

Many thanks for your reply, it's certainly been very helpful. Best of luck in your studies