PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Job prospects after modular ATPL (UK)? Loan or secure a job?
Old 2nd Jul 2023, 20:16
ManFlex40

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alexeyAP
Hello lads, I'm a year or two away from leaving secondary school here in the UK and to be honest I've become infatuated with aviation over the past few years. I would love nothing more than to spend my working hours in a cockpit as opposed to the traditional 9-5 and all the pilots I've spoken to agree wholeheartedly that it is one of the best jobs that one could possibly work. The way I see it integrated is prohibitively expensive while modular is more "grindy" and allows your experience to build up (which should be better for jobseeking right?!). A few questions:
  • Would you recommend going to uni, getting a secure and well-paying job and saving for a few years then starting training or going to uni and taking out a loan straight off the bat? I appreciate that financial stability may be something that employers are looking for in a candidate, and it would also allow me to get some real experience of industry before starting pilot training. I was considering going to uni for software engineering/computing science, civil engineering, electrical engineering or even aerospace engineering and getting a job in those fields. (I would also hate the idea of an outstanding loan hovering above my head while I complete my studies).
  • Having got your ATPL, is finding a job difficult? I have heard (or read rather) horror stories of people floating about for years after securing their license looking for a job only to fly bizjets in the end.
  • Would UK airlines such as easyjet ever even consider hiring modular graduates or do they hire exclusively from their cadet programs? (Again the cost + high risk + low experience/occupational mobility) makes this route very very unattractive for me.
Thanks in advance.
I’ll answer this in three parts.

1.) Is it worth getting a job/ going to uni before starting flight training? Absolutely. Not only will life experience look good on your future CV, you will learn more about yourself than you could ever believe. I worked for 4 years in a variety of settings after leaving sixth form, working in a fast food kitchen to operations manager at a large logistics company to setting up my own business, make the most of your time ‘before’ aviation. It also means that, whilst you’re studying down the modular route, you’re able to earn money and save it for when you need it most. In my case, I spent my weeks working and weekends hour building, whilst saving money for the stage I’m at now, full time ATPL/CPL/IR. That is assuming you wish to do it ‘full time’ modular, you can always work alongside distance learning/weekend CPL lessons!

2.) Is finding a job difficult for modular ATPL holders? No… but also yes. There are two predominant factors at play when it comes to this bit, A.) where you did your training and/or B.) how good you are at networking. Now, it’s common knowledge that recruiters like continuity of training, that is, doing your CPL and IR (perhaps even the additional bits like your ATPL’s, MCC and UPRT) with the same training provider. There are of course many exceptions to this when the market is good, as it is currently, with Ryanair, Loganair and Jet 2 all hiring friends of mine who have completed their training at 2,3 and in one case 4 different training providers. However, there are those jobs out there that are only accessible through going to the right flight school and having a good network in the industry. For example, 3 well known ATO’s have all recently sent modular cadets to easyJet, and at recent recruitment talks, British Airways will be hiring modular cadets for their Euro Flyer winter recruitment.

That being said, here’s a small but distinguished list of where modular guys and girls have ended up this year from my current ATO and friends from others and how they got there;

DHL (school placement)
Wizz Air (open applications on their website)
Ryanair (open applications on their website)
easyJet (school placement)
Loganair (networking- send off an email to HR and get lucky, combined with some school placement)
Emerald Airlines (networking)
West Atlantic (networking)
Jet 2 (PA scheme)
Eastern Airways (networking)
TUI (networking)

3.) Do airlines like easyJet hire exclusively from their integrated partner schools?

No. Again, I am studying full time ‘combined modular’ at a well known ATO whose head of recruitment previously sent modular cadets to airlines like easyJet from a previous ATO and is continuing this today at our ATO. Airlines couldn’t care less what training route you took- so long as A.) your ATPL average is good (BA have quoted 85% average with max 1 retake) and B.) you pass your CPL/IR first series (preferably first time).

Drop me a PM if you have any questions