PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Best' helicopter to learn to fly in....
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2023, 07:31
Torquetalk

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by 605carsten
Also, please consider getting a set of flight sim controls and VR goggles… saves a crapload of dosh when learning to hover (in my case, Puma Trainer Helicontrols, Xplane 11 R44 and Quest2 VR goggles)
A good investment. Not only helpful for training hover reference, but much more. From training pattern work and panel scan (although a simulator needs a disproportionate instrument scan reference for learning to fly visually - overtraining eyes in), it will help with night, procedure training, instrument training and a surprising amount of skill tweaking for commercial flying. It will also help to develop a timely but light control input.

And I agree entirely wit meleagertoo about being spoilt by learning on more sophisticated aircraft. Someone I knew killed themselves in a Gazelle just after getting their PPL. If some of the basics had not be masked by the correlation and hydraulics of that aircraft, he might not have been so bold in putting himself in a very dangerous situation that far outstripped his capacity to cope.
CPL(A) confidence meets low time PPL(H) with no rotorcraft muscle memory - a deadly combination.

Last edited by Torquetalk; 2nd Jul 2023 at 08:06.