PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Human factors : why is flying so tiring
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2023, 12:56
SOPS
short flights long nights

Received 158 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by giord
3 days in a row? That would be amazing; the norm in Europe LCC model is 5 or 6 in a row with max fdp days. Then you get 2/3 maybe 4 days off if you’re lucky where you’re not supposed to have a normal life but just rest and get ready for the next smash. It is unhealthy to wake up for days on end at 3/4 am or to go to sleep at 1 am after a late rotation.
Worst mistake of my professional career was to leave the corporate world to fly airliners; I was flying less than yearly half hours in executive compared to airlines and yes I was making half the money but my QoL was 100 times better, even with a non existent roster being on call and I was enjoying every flight. Moving back to corporate now, airlines (except for old school majors with great contracts) are a big no-no in terms of lifestyle.
Thats exactly why, at 53, I realised that long haul flying was going to send me to an early grave. My roster as a train driver now is so much more controlled. Start at 4am … must be finished by 11.00 am. Driven a train for 5 hours? You must have a minimum of 30 minutes off. Longest shift 9 hours. Shortest shift 5.30 hours. Min rest between shifts 13 hours. And I have no jet lag and are home everyday.