PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Human factors : why is flying so tiring
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2023, 17:49
giord

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CW247
Feeling the same more and more. Feel my health deteriorating by doing this job. Part time awaits. The ugly truth is we humans were not designed to fly 3 days in a row. The noise, the air, the lack of opportunity for good meals and quality toilet time all contribute to fatigue and tiredeness whilst looking perfectly legal on paper. It's become the industry norm to throw you into an extreme block of duties only to then give you blocks of days off. I would much rather have a day off after each day of flying to recoup. The body needs it.
3 days in a row? That would be amazing; the norm in Europe LCC model is 5 or 6 in a row with max fdp days. Then you get 2/3 maybe 4 days off if you’re lucky where you’re not supposed to have a normal life but just rest and get ready for the next smash. It is unhealthy to wake up for days on end at 3/4 am or to go to sleep at 1 am after a late rotation.
Worst mistake of my professional career was to leave the corporate world to fly airliners; I was flying less than yearly half hours in executive compared to airlines and yes I was making half the money but my QoL was 100 times better, even with a non existent roster being on call and I was enjoying every flight. Moving back to corporate now, airlines (except for old school majors with great contracts) are a big no-no in terms of lifestyle.